Subscribe Now: Money Dearest

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Having a job with no Vacation pay.. and taking 3 weeks off!



I don't know about you, but I have one of those jobs where I do NOT get paid while I am on vacation. I am a nanny, I don't even get sick days! If the family I nanny for goes away- I do not get paid either. That is the major downside of my job.

I know that I am going to Disney this month (August 22nd- 26th!) and that I am going to Ireland for 2 weeks in September or October. That means I will be missing 2.5 weeks of work- and pay! Plus lets not forget that I will need spend money for both trips.



Vacations are so relaxing, but the stress leading up to them is the worst!

In my case I have to cut way back on spending to make up for the 2.5 weeks I will not get paid- sadly my bills still need to get paid during that time.

Here is what I am doing:
  • I am not eating out- as much as I can help it. I do have a Panera and Dunkin Donuts Giftcard just incase I get weak!
  • I am eating food out of my freezer and cabinets- this needs to be done aways, so it is keeping my weekly grocery spending to about $10 a week- milk and fresh fruits. I have tons of frozen meat/veggies.
  • Setting aside money each week for spend money while I am on vacation- this helps trust me!
  • I am working as much as possible- 1 day off in 21 days, then I plan on working basically every day from the time I get back from Disney until the time I leave for Ireland- there is a 3 day weekend I have to take off to visit my sister at college for family weekend.

Nothing that I am doing to cut back on spending is super hard. In fact they are things I should be doing anyways, I am just trying harder at doing them.

How do you save up for vacations? Even if you do have paid vacation time?

1 comment:

  1. I also take on some extra work. Then take that cash and put it away. Then once on vacation...spend it all!

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete